Rental Housing Maintenance & Inspection
Rental Housing Ordinance
The City of Chaska rental dwelling ordinance requires all rental dwellings to be licensed with the city and pass an initial inspection. This ordinance is administered by the Chaska Fire Department through the Fire Marshal’s office.
The annual license renewal is due in January of each year. Inspections will then be required every 2 years after the initial inspection.
View our Rental Housing License Application (PDF).
Purpose of the Program
- To monitor the use, location, and amount of space for human occupancy
- To oversee an adequate level of maintenance
- To preserve the value of land and buildings throughout the city
- To prevent housing conditions that adversely affect lives of renters including their physical, mental, and social well-being
- To protect, preserve, and promote public health, safety, and general welfare
- To provide for the administration and enforcement thereof
- To provide minimum standards for basic equipment and facilities for light, ventilation, and thermal conditions
- To provide safety from fire
Inspections are scheduled Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Owners, managers, and tenants can call 952-548-0398 to schedule inspections.
All units within the dwelling will be inspected. Please make sure all the requirements listed below have been addressed prior to the inspection (this list contains examples of common issues found):
- Use of extension cords for permanent wiring - Extension cords can only be used for portable appliances (toasters, televisions, electronics).
- Multi-plug adapters - Multi-plug adapters are prohibited. Circuit protected power strips are allowed but must be UL 1363 listed. This listing can be found on the packaging as well as the back of the power strip.
- Daisy chained power strips - Daisy chained power strips are prohibited. Daisy chaining is connecting multiple power strips together in a series.
- Large appliances - All large appliances including space heaters, mini refrigerators, and chest freezers must be plugged directly into an outlet.
- Missing or inoperative smoke detectors - Minnesota State Fire Marshal Smoke Alarm Fact Sheet (PDF).
- Missing or loose handrails - Structurally sound hand rails shall be provided on any steps containing three (3) risers or more. Porches, patios, and/or balconies located more than thirty (30) inches higher than the adjacent areas shall have structurally sound protective guardrails.
- Missing or expired fire extinguishers - 1-A:10:B:C (minimum) fire extinguishers are required in all units. Multi-unit buildings have different requirements. Extinguishers must be certified by a licensed contractor or replaced annually. Extinguishers must be mounted in an accessible area using the packaged mounting bracket.
- All bedrooms must be equipped with egress windows in accordance with the Minnesota State Fire Marshal Statement of Policy for Escape Windows (PDF).
- Blocked fire sprinkler heads - Sprinkler heads need a minimum of 18 inches clearance. Do not hang anything on sprinkler heads or sprinkler piping, if exposed. Sprinkler heads cannot be painted and must be free of dust and debris.
Codes and Standards
The following codes and standards are used:
- 2015 Minnesota Fire Code
- 2015 Minnesota Building Code
- NFPA 10 2012 edition
- NFPA 12 2012 edition
- NFPA 72 2012 edition
- City of Chaska rental housing ordinance
Eighty percent of all fire deaths occur where people feel the safest - in their homes. Please protect your family by making sure your home is fire safe. Take fire alarms seriously. We are often called to a fire alarm activation at apartment buildings and find occupants still in the building. Modern fire alarm systems are very reliable, so please take them seriously and make sure you and your family have evacuated the building. In almost all cases, the Fire Department will be responding to the fire alarm and will give the all clear to re-enter the building.
To learn more about landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities, or for lease questions or disagreements, contact the following: