Solar and Distributed Energy Resources
Steps to Install Solar Power
Interested in adding solar power to your home or business?
Here are some steps you will need to take.
- Find a solar contractor.
- You can find tips for hiring a qualified installer on the State of Minnesota Commerce Department website
- Submit a Simplified Interconnection Application (PDF).
- Typically the contractor will work through this paperwork with you and submit the necessary documents for you
- The $100 application fee can be paid by check and mailed to 600 Victoria Dr., Chaska, MN 55318
- Email documents to the Electric Department
- Fill out and submit an Interconnection Agreement (PDF)
- After your application has been approved by our engineers, fill out an interconnection contract
- Don't forget to get a building permit from the City of Chaska
- After your install is complete and has been inspected by the State Electrical Inspector, have your contractor reach out to the Chaska Electric Department to schedule a system acceptance test.
- Make sure to have your DER Certificate of Completion (PDF) filled out and present at your system acceptance test
- Get a rebate for your install. View rebate application forms.
Read these documents before you complete your application. When you sign the documents linked above, you are agreeing to the terms listed below.
- Rules Governing the Interconnection of Cogenerating and Small Power Production Facilities (PDF)
- Cogeneration and Small Power Production Tariff (PDF)
- Interconnection Process and Technical Requirements (PDF)
One Line Example
Below is an example of what an acceptable one-line diagram should look like.
- Utility connection goes to the top lugs of the utility meter